Advocacy Task Force Session 1
This webinar is the first of the 2024 Advocacy Task Force sessions.
Please join us in the Coalition for Home Repair's first Advocacy Task Force Session of 2024! For our first session, we will hear from Gail Schechter, Executive Director of H.O.M.E. (Housing Opportunities & Maintenance for the Elderly) and their advocacy efforts in Chicago. Fix our Homes Illinois is an emerging coalition convened by H.O.M.E. committed to securing more public funding and personnel for home repairs for low-income homeowners in the state of Illinois.
The Advocacy Task Force is open to all and will meet on a regular, bi-monthly basis (12 sessions over 24 months). These sessions will include opportunities to hear from and learn from others engaged in housing preservation efforts. This group will also collaborate, strategize, and exchange ideas and information as it relates to developing and advancing the coalition's advocacy platform goals.
Mark your calendars! For 2024, the Advocacy Task Force will meet on the following days and times:
- Thursday, April 11 at 11am eastern time/8 am pacific time
- Thursday, June 13 at 11am eastern time/8 am pacific time
- Thursday, August 15 at 11am eastern time/8 am pacific time
- Thursday, October 10 at 11am eastern time/8 am pacific time
- Thursday, December 12 at 11am eastern time/8 am pacific time
Why is home repair important for preserving affordable housing?
Many people consider affordable housing in the form of vouchers, rental assistance, tax credits, or newly constructed homes with low-interest loans. Yet, we seek to demonstrate through evidence-based practices that home repair/rehabilitation are integral solutions to the housing crises for low and moderate-income households. Home repair and modification programs can:
- proactively reduce homelessness
- protect generational assets
- stabilize neighborhoods and communities at large
- prevent illness and injury
We must invest sufficient resources into keeping affordable homes in conditions that are livable, safe, and healthy.